Tor View School is an independent co-educational school, located in Tavistock, Devon. We specialise in providing education services to young people between the ages of 7 and 19 years, who are diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, with associated learning difficulties.
We aspire to support each young person within our service to develop positive lifestyles in a safe environment, grow as individuals and prepare them for a brighter future.
A parent's story
We offer a range of services including:
- A broad and balanced individualised curriculum, to help young people lead fulfilling, happy and meaningful lives
- A safe, structured and stimulating environment, with positive approaches to learning
- An emphasis on individual achievement and personal development
- Individual timetables for each young person, built around their strengths and interests
- A well-equipped school and learning environment, as well as a range of communal areas, including a student surf café
- A multidisciplinary team including a speech and language therapist and occupational therapist
- Opportunities to learn within the community to further develop daily living and independence skills, in preparation for adult life
- Partnerships with each young person, their parents, carers, social workers and health and employment/training services, to achieve the implementation of plans and best possible outcomes
Our ethos and values
At Tor View School, we provide young people with access to enriching experiences and opportunities, all within a safe and supportive environment, in order to develop emotional resilience and enable lifelong learning and growth. We actively engage with our students in their person-centred planning, through a focus on three key elements:
We support young people to overcome any significant barriers to safety, learning, quality of life, and personal growth, either on entry to our service or when they arise.
This is the overarching structure of all of our work and everything we do is focused on making learning and experiences about students’ safety, life and growth. We ensure that each young person has access to as complete and fulfilling a life experience as possible, with as many skills to self-advocacy as they can develop.