The residential services here at Southern Peninsula Services (formerly Devon Education and Children’s Services) are inspected by Ofsted as children's home and promote the Every Child Matters outcomes. The 24 hour curriculum links the care and education programmes and provides a structure in which the development of students as individuals is encouraged and facilitated. This is achieved by pursuing interests in the wider community, taking part in courses at local colleges and through supported work experience.
Our services include:
- Safe environments which meet the specific physical, social, intellectual and emotional needs of the young people
- Spacious bedrooms, some with en-suite facilities
- Modern communal areas including living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms and play rooms
- Enclosed gardens which can be used for various activities
- Education services and therapeutic support provided at Southern Peninsula Services Senior School in Bere Alston
- Highly skilled staff teams for young people with complex needs
- A close working relationship with placing authorities and parents/carers
- Access to local train stations which has links to the city of Plymouth
Residential staff team
Every resident at Southern Peninsula Services is allocated a key worker and co-key worker who they have regular meetings with, and usually the person who will have the most contact with the young person’s parents and/or social workers.
The key worker also maintains close contact with the tutor to cross the 24 hour curriculum. Detailed profiles of the young person’s abilities in a wide range of social and life skills are kept and any challenging or difficult behaviour is closely monitored.
Each term the key worker and student, with guidance from senior therapists, negotiate targets and areas of improvement. Key workers will aim to contact parents or guardians on a weekly basis and keep them updated on progress and achievements.