Therapy services are an integral element of the education provided at Priory Lodge School. Our highly-qualified specialist in-house therapy team comprises:
- Two full time Speech and Language Therapists
- One full time paediatric occupational therapist
In addition to our in-house team, pupils at Priory Lodge School also have access to:
- One clinical psychologist (visits four days per week)
- Three postgraduate educational psychology assistants
- One councillor (visits five days per week)
- Other therapists, counsellors and support staff who are available within the school
Our teaching staff are also trained to provide:
- Art therapy
- Music therapy
Individual support programmes
Upon starting at Priory Lodge School, all pupils are assessed by our:
- Speech and Language therapist
- Educational and/or Clinical psychologist
- Occupational Therapist
The assessment also takes into consideration the therapeutic needs of each pupil as set out in their Statement of Special Educational Needs or their Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. From this, we are then able to develop an individual support programmes which is based around the young person’s specific needs.
Each and every one of our pupils at Priory Lodge School has their individual Behaviour Support Plan and Risk Assessments reviewed on a termly basis or when a ‘new behaviour’ is exhibited. Each term we will set new behavioural and social targets, based on individual needs. These targets are reviewed half- termly with the teacher and the therapy team and are also discussed within EHCP/Annual Reviews and parents evenings.
Working hand in hand
Here at Priory Lodge School, our therapy team works hand in hand with our teachers to ensure that the educational staff share an understanding of each pupil’s therapeutic needs. Working closely together surrounding a young person allows us to provide an education at Priory Lodge School that is more holistic and supportive. We have found this makes a huge difference to pupils’ wellbeing, emotional and social development and academic outcomes.
Dedicated therapy space
As you would expect for a school which gives such a high priority to therapy services, Priory Lodge School has a total of three therapy rooms, including a well-equipped sensory room. In addition to these dedicated spaces, our therapy team do a lot of work alongside our young people in the classroom environment to give them the support they need in the way which is most effective for them.
The support we offer
Priory Lodge School prides itself on the breath of therapy and support that is available to our pupils on a daily basis. This includes:
- A designated mentor for every student who leads 1:1 mentor sessions
- Targeted speech and language therapy support
- Intervention through our speech and language programme
- Social skill support to develop social interaction and conversational skills from the Speech and Language therapy team
- Targeted individual occupational therapy and/or support through an occupational therapy programme sensory diet
- Alternative methods of recording written information (e.g. using a laptop with a programme to develop skills in touch typing)