Priory College South Wales is an independent, specialist co-educational college for young people aged 16 to 25 years with Asperger Syndrome, autistic spectrum disorders and associated conditions. The college was set up in partnership with Coleg Gwent, the largest further education college in Wales, to meet the academic, social and emotional needs of our young people.
Priory College South Wales provides a safe and supportive learning environment where our young people can explore their own experience of Asperger Syndrome and develop strategies for managing their condition as part of their lives. We wish to enable young people to develop the confidence and skills they need for the next stage of their journey.
With a dedicated team of staff, we aim to provide every young person with an individually tailored programme of education, care, work experience, leisure and life skills and training within the community, to enable them to live as independently as possible and make their own life choices.
Our education standards inspectors Estyn said in 2015:
- The college deploys staff well and appropriately to support learners across their courses and in all areas of their learning
- Learners have frequent access to professional speech and language therapy, which meets their individual needs well
- With a clear vision to becoming a leading centre for autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) provision and support, the college has appointed a trained ASD specialist and offers access to a wide range of resources on-site
- Learner attendance at the college is high
- The college has a clear focus on developing learners’ confidence in their ability to learn and develop study skills