Case study: Jason
Hi, my name is Jason* and I arrived at Coxlease School having been excluded from my mainstream primary school. I had a variety of issues which presented as highly challenging behaviour, including:
- Low self-esteem to the point where I would refuse to leave the school site on activities due to my anxieties
- Being unable to adhere to fundamental boundaries and codes of conduct. I would become very physically aggressive when my behaviours were challenged
- Refusing lessons regularly. I was thoroughly disengaged with any form of education or authority
- Poor attendance which, combined with my prior disaffection, affected my progress
When I joined Coxlease School, my overall attainment was significantly below that expected for my age and I was predicted to achieve a Level 2 of the National Curriculum for literacy, numeracy and science at the end of Key Stage 2.
During my time at Coxlease, I developed into a confident and mature young person. My parents, teachers and key worker all said the change in me was dramatic. By Key Stage 4 I had made friends, I was engaged in lessons, made progress in my learning and most importantly, I enjoyed school.
I left Coxlease School at the end of Year 11 with:
- Six GCSEs at A* to C grade, including English, maths, PE, science and catering
- A Level 2 qualification in English and Cope
- 100% attendance
I now attend college in my home town and am studying towards a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services and I travel independently to college each day by public transport.